Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Sunday, February 5, 2012

Worst dinner guest ever

After bowling (terribly), we went to Cafe Zamora in Avondale.  I was there once before, when I was just learning about my diet restrictions.  So today, I asked about the chips; the first girl left to check and never came back and the second girl said that they make their own chips and fry them separately.  So I had some chips and their awesome garlicky salsa.  Then I had a 3 taco plate--one each, chicken, fish, and shrimp--with rice and beans, no cheese on the beans or chicken taco.  It was excellent and I had enough left for another meal.  We also took some chips and salsa to go.

I think it's funny, but I'm only 3 of the 5!

Later, we went to our friend's house to watch the Superbowl.  I realize that I'm a horrible dinner guest now, but I ate a big lunch, had dinner waiting at home if needed, and had chips and salsa to munch on.  Plus, they like me!  She made posole and went through the ingredients with me.  The only questionable ingredient was the organic chicken broth, which contained yeast extract.  After all my research, I still don't know if I can or cannot have that.  So I thought I wouldn't have any, but later I gave in.  Because I love posole.  My husband doesn't, but I (heart) posole.  And it was good.  And I had some of the chips and salsa from Zamora's.

I realize that I my dietary restrictions make some people uncomfortable and make some people curious.  I know some people want to help and some people want to ignore the issue.   I know that it's not so simple as eliminating one thing from the menu.  I realize that I am the worst dinner guest ever.  But it's not impossible to feed "one of us" a tasty meal, and if we can't eat what you have, be graceful like my friend when I thought I wouldn't eat the posole, and don't make a big deal about it.  There's always next time.  There is a next time, right?  And an Amazon wishlist...

No comments:

Post a Comment