Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Saturday, October 1, 2011

Everybody poops. And other breaking news!

Fair warning: I discuss some bodily functions in this post.


I bought some wild salmon, about enough for 3 portions.  I had the first piece Sunday night, the second piece Monday night.  I threw out the third piece.  I'm not completely certain that it wasn't something else I ate, but it seemed too coincidental that I had a "cowpie" the next morning after both meals.  Fortunately, I felt fine; it was just disgusting.

Tuesday, I got a new chair at work.  I hope it helps with my posture.  I also got some special treatment.  We had a catered lunch.  I knew I couldn't eat the pulled pork sandwiches and I wasn't sure I could eat the chicken (also pulled, seasoned with I don't know what) or anything else, so someone got me a salad from a place I like.  In retrospect, I'm not sure it was completely okay.  I don't think there were allergens but I wonder if there was dairy--there was pesto (which sometimes has Parmesan cheese).

Thursday morning, I woke up not feeling so well.  It was that kind of "it can go either way" feeling, so I did my elliptical time and got the day started.  And it did not resolve itself--although I went to the bathroom and got rid of some almost solid stuff, I was not feeling better.  I started thinking about what I ate the day before.  I knew what I ate was okay, with the exception of some tortilla chips I ate with salsa and guacamole at a social hour networking event--I was so hungry and had already eaten my snacks I carry and those are all things that should be okay.  Is it possible that the chips were messed up (for me)?  Am I going to have to blame myself every time I feel like crap?  Will I have to second guess every decision?  Could it have been from the day before?  Is it totally unrelated to my diet?  I don't know!

Friday was actually worse.  I had several times with serious pain, although, again, I made my deposit in the bathroom.  I'm pretty stressed out about my health, my work, my to-do list at home that seems like a to-keep-on-a-list.  *sigh*  And I get a call from my endocrinologist's office saying that they need me to come in right away because they got my lab results.  I have an appointment in two weeks--no, they want me to come Monday to see the PA and make adjustments to my medication.  Really?!  That's what you want to tell me?  So now I'm wondering if I'm doing something else wrong that is messing up my medication.  I'm taking it early, waiting an hour to eat, dairy is obviously not an issue now--what else can I do?  And why do I feel so crappy?

I realized this week that I will never eat another egg salad sandwich or fried egg sandwich.  Ever again for the rest of my life.  It's so final.  It's so damn depressing that my "comfort" foods are disappearing.  I can't believe that I actually came to tears when I mentioned that realization to someone.

Today, Saturday, started out well enough.  We went shopping for some new clothing and shoes for my husband.  I ate my leftover chicken, mashed sweet potatoes, and green beans with TJ glazed pecans.  I knew we were going to a pizza party for a club event, so I packed a Larabar and a Trio bar.  I ate both during the event, although one was probably sufficient--it seems that I feel hungrier when I'm around food that smells good.  By the time we left and headed home, I knew I was headed to some pain.  I spent the evening in some level 10 pain alternated with some keep-as-still-as-possible-it-doesn't-hurt-now moments.  That did not lead to a particularly productive evening.  I noticed that I was having (throbbing-ish?) pain in my right hip area, where the leg meets the body, especially in the front.

I am really annoyed with this opinion article that says restaurants do not have to accommodate food allergies. If I understand the author's view (and several commenters appear to agree), food allergies shouldn't be taken seriously because some people say they are allergic when they aren't.  In addition, he seems to think that a food intolerance is no big deal.  I think he's asking for one--then he can decide if he wants to spend a couple days with a "digestive reaction" since that is so awesome; compared to life-threatening allergies, I guess it is, but really, it is still life-impacting.  I have to say that his differentiation between allergies and tolerances confused me.  I'm allergic to wheat, bakers yeast, and eggs, but I've never ended up in the hospital because of them.  At worst, I've vomited, but usually it's a lot of pain and waiting for it to come out the other end.

Listen, if someone doesn't want to eat a certain ingredient, they shouldn't have to eat it.  I'm not saying that the restaurant should have to change their menu, but if some items can be modified to accommodate the customers' wishes, why wouldn't they want to do that?  It's a SERVICE industry.  As one comment said:
Allergies are really hard. They're limiting. You constantly have to work around them. I love food. I want to eat out.

No comments:

Post a Comment