Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Thursday, October 20, 2011

True Food

I had a lunch meeting with a group of people I don't know, in a conference room.  As soon as I arrived, I realized that it was a lunch meeting; for whatever reason, I just went for the meeting without thinking about the lunch part.  They had Paradise Bakery sandwiches and salads.  And cookies.  And someone brought brownies, which were passed around twice.  I almost took a salad and then realized there was cheese on it.  So I had a Larabar.  Surprisingly, no one seemed too interested in what I was eating or that I wasn't eating the provided lunch.

When I left, I was pretty hungry, so I stopped at Delux and got gazpacho.  They were filming something for TV so it took quite a while to get my cold cup o' soup.  But it was good.  I was so out of it that I didn't even take advantage of the offer for a free drink.  I got about half a mile away and thought, I should have asked for an iced tea.  Hmm.

My friend who was taking my dress in for my Halloween costume said she could meet for a drink, maybe dinner, so I could get my dress.  Since we have so many allergies between us, we decided on True Food.  She wanted the steak tacos but they were on corn tortillas, so they substituted pitas, which completely looked like little tortillas.  I had the turkey bolognese (no dairy, served on rice pasta) and it was very good.  Perfect for a pasta with meat sauce craving.  I also had a cucumber margarita, which was a little chunky for me but tasted excellent.  And I had my first dessert in public--orange sorbet with pomegranate seeds.  Pretty good stuff.

Update: my boss has a daughter who has health issues and they think there may be an allergy or a sensitivity issue, so she's on an elimination diet or gluten-free diet or something.  I recommended True Food for when she's in town.  She has hormonal, adrenal, thyroid issues so I also sent him the link to the book, Living Well with Hypothyroidism.  Are these health issues becoming more common or am I becoming more aware of them?

1 comment:

  1. Both. But I read a study yesterday about this, so I have the facts in my noggin! 1 in 12 kids has a food allergy and 1 in 36 was a severe allergy (dairy and peanuts topped the list). They were going to further the study and see if they could link the fact that we have a "clean" society to allergies. They think because we wash all the time and kill helpful bacteria, there's nothing to help absorb those allergies. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete