Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Monday, October 3, 2011

It's urgent! Nope, it's not.

I got a call on Friday that my lab results came back and I needed to come in as soon as possible to have my medication adjusted.  I have an appointment scheduled in a couple weeks, but she said I should come in right away.  The best part was that I asked if she was cancelling my other appointment or if I would still need to come in for the appointment in a couple of weeks and she said that was up to me.

So today, I go, and I see (another) PA.  She handles the appointment like a normal follow-up appointment, so I ask why it was so urgent I come in.  Although she did not give me the test results (she said I would get a copy), she attributed the call to the fact that my numbers are (always) out of whack, and someone overreacted without looking at my previous tests.  So my meds are not adjusted, I did not have to be stressed out all weekend, I did not have to take several hours away from my workday, and I don't have to go back in a couple weeks.

During the course of our conversation, the PA was checking her computer for my history and said a couple of things that made me perk up and ask questions.  She referred to my "Grave's" and "Hashimoto's."  I'm aware of these separate diseases since I've been reading my friend's copy of "Living Well with Hypothyroidism."  But this is the first I am hearing about me having them.  So she backs up a little and says that my history indicates the conditions but it doesn't look like I've been diagnosed with either.  She says I could swing between them, with Graves showing TSI positive and Hashimotos showing high TSH.  And I did not test as having either in July of 2010.  So I am going for another blood draw to get tested.  If I am positive for Graves, I will also need an eye exam.

She also asked about my Vitamin D and she was hinting that it was a little high until I told her I have MS.  How is that not the first thing someone sees in my chart?!  So annoying...

She also mentioned that I have a slight heart murmur.  I am so fabulous.  My next labs and appointment will be in about 3 months and I will have the next ultrasound later in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment