Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Monday, September 5, 2011

Knock, knock. I'm coming to lunch.

courtesy the bloggess
Not only do I struggle with what is or is not MS, everyone around me does too. And if it's not the MS, it's my broken, fused back.

I've been dealing with some pain issues for years, but not anywhere near as long as my back has been broken.  I experience extreme pain along the spine, accompanied by (ahem...) digestive issues.  MS doctors told me the pain was not an MS issue--I just need to lose weight**; non-MS doctors said it was MS--definitely nerve pain.  **The pain started while I was skinny, after losing about 50-60 pounds. I think I had my first undiagnosed MS exacerbation around then as well.  Someone told me last week that they thought it was "just back pain."

A few years ago, I started cleaning up my diet--no aspartame, high fructose corn syrup, MSG, potassium acetate, or soda.  I eat organic when reasonable.  I am recently diagnosed with allergies or sensitivities to wheat, bakers yeast and egg whites.  In addition, I no longer eat soy due to my thyroid condition due to MS drugs.  (Yes, I do like to jump to conclusions.  What of it?)  While my gut is going through detox, I am also banned from red meat, coffee, and dairy.  I really, really hope the ban is temporary.

I can not overemphasize this: I LOVE FOOD.  One of my favorite TV stations is the Food Network.  I collect recipes.  I want to make great food for people I love.  I love food.

I don't think I am usually a high maintenance person.  But now, we go out, and I have to quiz the server.  And sometimes the chef.  And research the restaurant before I go, if possible.  So now, I am "that" person: no this, no that.  I'm sure I'm making mistakes, but I'm not going to starve to death.
 
My husband's family, in their words, "don't understand."  Huge disclaimer here: I love his parents and think the world of them.  Here's the thing, though: if you asked them, they probably think they eat healthy--but they don't.  They drink soda, don't read labels, eat all kinds of sugar-free and processed foods, but they do throw in some fruits and vegetables.
 
I was nervous about going to lunch at their house.  They asked what I can eat.  I think this is going to be a recurring theme.  I'm not going to recount the details of eating there, but I was asked if I can eat watermelon.  Or an apple.  Maybe I misunderstood the question...
 
I can eat chicken and fish and turkey and probably pork--high quality meats if possible--organic or wild caught I was told, as well as fruits, vegetables, rice, potatoes, beans, and seasonings and sauces that don't have any of the banned ingredients.  See, I won't starve to death!  But if you buy lots of processed foods, I do need to see the labels.  My definition of processed is anything in a package--my apologies to anyone who disagrees with my very broad interpretation.
 
When we got home and I needed to eat something to take my medicine, I had some of the leftover chili beans and brown rice from the other night.  I added some spicy salsa to it and that worked very well--no crying at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment