Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lump on Jill

My beautiful but moody scaredy cat, Jill, has a growth on her face. It has been there for a while. (see photo below from early December.) I've been watching it and it hasn't changed. Well, until I wasn't watching. Friends were at the house, and K tells me that Jill's lump got HUGE. So we look at it (before Jill runs off), and it is probably double the original size. It looks uncomfortable. She tries to keep me from looking at it or touching it.
K also pointed out that Jill's ears are red. We know this is a recurring ear infection due to her allergy to life. Well, I guess it's not recurring if it never goes away--it's just a constant ear infection. So I need to chase her around to give her ear drops a little more often. Jill kind of runs when she sees me coming, and as I explained to K when she commented, I've been giving Jill these ear drops for YEARS, and she hates it. And I hate it too!

So now the dilemna. Jill is no longer using the litter box, but mostly using the puppy pads. She has missed a couple times recently that we know of--once in my (carpeted) closet and once on the dog bed she was laying on in M's office. In addition, she is vomiting hair balls and we don't know how often since we have dogs. (Figure that one out? ewww!) M is against shutting her off in one of the bathrooms, like we did for a month at our previous house when she had constant diarrhea. Now, like then, the question becomes, do we put her to sleep or keep working at it? Surprisingly, M thinks that she feels fine and we should not consider putting her down yet. But he is concerned that thing on her face is going to explode. I think we (I) need to get her into a new vet near the new house to see what they think. We are not willing to spend a lot of money on an 18 year old cat, but we will have to spend some to make a decision.

2 comments:

  1. She seemed happy enough to me, but didn't ask me to feed her (like normal, but maybe I wasn't there at that time on Sunday). She let me touch her enough, so maybe you just need to buy me with beer and food to come over and give her eardrops and stuff. :) Poor Jill. If you put her down, then you have to start really thinking about Kachina since they love each other so much. Too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, if Kachina goes first, then Jill goes with her, but the other way around is a much harder decision. :(

    ReplyDelete