Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Sunday, February 6, 2011

Contact Zonies USDAA Agility Trial

Teka got her second official measurement at exactly 21 inches. (We want 21 inches or lower; her first official measurement was 20 and a quarter inches.) She needs one more to get her official card and then I won't have to worry about being at USDAA trials super-early for the measurement.

Our first course was the P1 Gamblers. I tried to walk it with a lot of "what-if's" since the opening is all for points and getting in position for the closing. (Unlike AKC FAST, the closing cannot start until there is a buzzer; then it must be completed before the second buzzer.) Teka was working with me but I felt like I was urging her along. When we started the closing, I was concerned (as everyone else was with their dogs too) that she would go out to the teeter instead of staying closer for the jump. So I called here and she came in too far, missing the jump. So we did not get our Gamble.

Cassi started out well but went over a jump I sent her over and the judge called zero--and mentally, I think I was thinking about that, but later found out it was not bi-directional. He had not said anything about it in our briefing, so everyone was doing the same thing I did. We went on but got done with my planned course before the buzzer, so I fumbled for something to keep Cassi going without heading into the closing. During my hesitation, she headed to the Aframe, so when the buzzer went off she was at the top and headed in the wrong direction. I panicked a little (a lot?!) and got it in my head that I needed her on my right but couldn't get her there, so we wasted some time. She almost went to the teeter but came in and did all four jumps in the closing. Unfortunately, we were over time.

On our P1 Standard course, I felt like I was cheerleading Teka through every single thing (this is a trend for the day). She missed her weave entry, then I changed sides and she popped out at the last one, and then completed it on the third try. She completed the course, over time.

Cassi also missed her weave entry and it wasn't even a hard entry. She did everything else but she seemed to be in slow motion (this was all day really). There was a long pause before she decided to go through the tire jump. (I just stood there in one place and tried to support her without moving.) Her teeter was pretty slow, not at all what I was hoping for but she did it. Cassi ended over time.

I walked the P1 Snooker course and looked for the best flow I could find for both Teka and Cassi. Since they were both moving in slow motion today, I was able to get them through without taking any extra obstacles, and I remembered to run off the course after the last obstacle, so they both qualified. That completed Cassi's P1 Snooker title.

I was a little frazzled at the end of the day since I had P1 Jumpers with Teka and P2 Jumpers with Cassi. I walked Teka's course while they were setting up Cassi's course. They started walking in the other ring while Teka's group was running. I let A (the instructor from my TNC class) have Teka and the cream cheese while I walked Cassi's course. Then I came back and ran with Teka. I came out of that run feeling like she made me work for every jump out there. She did it but she was over time. A said that I should do more front crosses to build her desire (?) but I couldn't see how I would do it with the hand-holding I had to do for her. It was a draining way to end with Teka for the day, but I stayed positive for her and gave her "good girl" treats.

I ran with Cassi a very short time later (there were only 11 dogs for her class) and I was concerned that I would forget where I was going. Actually, since she was going so slow, that wasn't an issue. However, she almost missed a jump, and she went around one so we missed time. I thought she made a good effort and I gave her lots of "good girl" treats to end the day.

Overall for the day, I felt that the courses were too difficult for Starters (P1) and the Advanced (P2) course I ran had some funky stuff too. It was so discouraging to have Teka acting like she couldn't do anything herself when we've worked so hard at getting distance and independence. While I don't feel totally responsible for the issues we had, I do think I could have done a couple of things better at least. The only thing I felt I messed up for her was calling "here" instead of "this way" on the Gamble. I am beating myself up about Cassi's Gamble because I could have put her back in a tunnel for no points just to keep her busy and lined up for the gamble and she would have had it. If Cassi was her normal self, I think she would have done better and had more fun. I'm going to get her into the vet and see what they think is going on. She's so skinny since that bug bite. M also said that a lot of people felt their dogs were "off" this weekend and the grass (straw) was not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment