Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Monday, June 18, 2012

Surveys say....

I completed my monthly monitoring survey as well as the NARCOMs Spring 2012 Update. The monthly monitoring for my drug trial always asks the same questions while NARCOMs asks some same and some not.

I picked this question to share because my vision is worse, but I don't think it's due to MS, but rather the side effect of being treated for MS which caused me to develop thyroid disease including Graves disease so I have inflammation, not only everywhere MS wants it but in my eye.


Functionality Update (Spring 2012)
VISION
14.
Please read all of the categories, and select the single category which best describes your overall visual condition (with glasses if you use them) over the past month. Compare your current condition to your vision before you developed MS.
 
Normal Vision: Functionally normal; no limitations on activity or lifestyle.
• MS has not affected my vision.
• I wear glasses but otherwise my vision is normal.
Minimal Visual Disability:• My vision is normal, but it has been affected in the past by MS.
Mild Visual Disability:• I have visual symptoms of either blurred or double vision, but I am still able to do all of my usual activities.
Moderate Visual Disability:• Because of my visual problems, I have been forced to give up some of my usual activities, but after a period of rest I can usually return to these activities.
Severe Visual Disability:• I am no longer able to maintain my original lifestyle because of my vision, and rest does not seem to help my vision.
• I can no longer drive a car because of my vision.
Total Visual Disability:• I am essentially blind.
• I cannot read, even with aids.


I'm obviously not getting enough mail, email, and donation solicitations. Sign me up!


Lifestyle Update (Spring 2012)
49.
We are interested in estimating the number of people with MS in the US and assessing how well NARCOMS participants represent the MS population as a whole. In order to get a more accurate count, we need to know about potential overlap in current databases.

Please indicate below whether you are affiliated with any of these MS organizations or registries as a member or a participant. If you are not sure, but receive mail or emails from them, please mark Yes.
 
 Yes/No/Unsure
1.
National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS)
2.MS Association of America (MSAA)
3.MS Foundation (MSF)
4.New York State MS Consortium (NYSMSC)
5.Accelerated Cure Project (ACP)
6.United Spinal Association
7.Other (specify):
 
If yes, specify:
8.Other (specify):
 
If yes, specify:
 



Health Literacy Update (Spring 2012)
NEW VITAL SIGNS QUESTIONNAIRE
This information is on the back of a container of a pint of ice cream.
Nutrition Facts
Serving size1/2 cup
Serving per container4
Amount per serving
Calories 250Fat Cal 120
%DV
Total Fat13g20%
Sat Fat 9g40%
Cholesterol28mg12%
Sodium55mg2%
Total Carbohydrate30g12%
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 23g
Protein4g8%
*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calories needs.

Ingredients: Cream, Skim Milk, Liquid Sugar, Water, Egg yolks, Brown Sugar, Milkfat, Peanut Oil, Sugar, Carrageenan, Vanilla Extract.
  
61. If you eat the entire container, how many calories will you eat?
  
62. If you are allowed to eat 60 grams of carbohydrates as a snack, how much ice cream could you have?
  
63. Your doctor advises you to reduce the amount of saturated fat in your diet. You usually have 42g of saturated fat each day, which includes one serving of ice cream. If you stop eating ice cream, how many grams of saturated fat would you be consuming each day?
 grams
(enter numbers only)
  
64. If you usually eat 2500 calories in a day, what percentage of your daily value of calories will you be eating if you eat one serving?
%
  
65. If you can eat two servings, how much ice cream would that be if you were to measure it into a bowl?
  
  
66. Pretend that you are allergic to the following substances:
Penicillin, peanuts, latex gloves, and bee stings.
Is it safe for you to eat this ice cream?
66.a If No, Why not?
page 3 of 4


Well, I didn't know I was going to have to do math or I wouldn't have done this right before bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment