Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy Freakin' New Year.

We got home at the wee hours after a night out at our friends' house for New Year's Eve.  At their house, no one had seen me in several months, so there were a lot of questions about my shrinking body and the allergies and my diet.  I ate Fritos and some goat cheese with cranberries, and I drank some tea as well as a little sparkling wine for the toast.  The men played with fire and we had a light saber fight with our huge sparklers that were more like flares.

black eyed peas
Before we went out for the night, I started my black eyed peas on their overnight soak, so this morning, I rinsed them, made some bacon, and got the peas started cooking with some bacon.

I made two kinds of cornbread to go with the black eyed peas.  The first was a modified version of the cornbread recipe I found on the glutenfreegoddess blog.  I don't have sorghum flour, so I used Arrowhead Mills All Purpose Mix, which includes some of the other ingredients, so I did not put in any tapioca/potato starch or xanthan gum or baking soda, but I put in a half a teaspoon of baking powder based on one of the comments about substituting Pamela's mix (which I don't have either).

got egg?
This was my first experience using egg replacer, which was kind of weird.  The method for cooking the cornbread was different than my traditional cornbread recipe.  Once I got it in the oven, I started my traditional recipe but found that I had run out of (regular) corn meal and didn't get more, so I used corn grits.

"safe" and not "safe"
They both turned out well, and I asked everyone to taste both.  They said the grits did not taste any different than cornmeal.  He later tasted the other cornbread and said it was good but he thought it was more like cake and he would want the traditional version for cornbread.  I thought it was very good and everyone who tried it agreed.  I wonder if it would be more like cornbread if I made it exactly like the recipe.

safeunsafe
A while after lunch, I came back into the kitchen and saw something that made my stomach jump.

My guests left and we watched the Cardinals game.  When it was almost over, my husband started asking about the quail that I was supposed to cook but forgot.  So he wanted me to cook it for dinner.  And I made dinner.  This may seem like a non-event but I was really angry.  He was supposed to take me to get wings and beer for my "getting ready for a Celiac test cheat day" today or yesterday or the day before and it didn't happen.  So I'm going to eat my wheat tomorrow when I am off work and then I get to be sick on my first day back at work.  I'll eat the wings next weekend for my second cheat.

quail, cornbread, potatoes
I used the fried chicken recipe from my awesome new book for the quail.  Since I can't use eggs, I used the egg replacer.  I really like the texture of the almond flour/meal and the spice mix was good for fried bird.  My husband liked it too!  He has no understanding of why I was angry cooking, so I'm just going to go eat my wheat with one of my girls tomorrow while he's working. And then I'll be sick at work this week.  Happy Freakin' New Year, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment