Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Friday, October 4, 2013

Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook

I think it has been a while since I posted a book review.

I just returned a book to the library this week since I ran out of renewals. Here is my Goodreads review of The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook by Cybele Pascal.

The information provided in the front was concise and relevant. I tried three recipes before I had to return it to the library. I'm reluctant to rate the book at this time because of a couple things.

I have been eating "allergy-free" for a couple years and have just ventured back into baking. I am not doing well at it. I don't know yet if it is me or the recipes. I think it is extremely difficult to bake without wheat, eggs, AND dairy. I want my recipes to taste like the real deal. I'd generally rather go without than have something subpar.

I prefer recipes that just include measurements for the types of flour but she uses a flour mix in many of the recipes. That isn't a big deal to me but should be noted.

The first recipe, morning glory muffins, were edible but not good. Perhaps I over-baked them. I threw most of them out.

The second recipe, blondies, was not what I expected but I really liked it. They weren't really that brownie-like consistency. They were more like chocolate chunk cookies in bar form. My husband who eats "normal" was not a fan of them. On the one hand, that could mean they are only good to those of us who "have" to eat that way. On the other, more for me!

The third recipe I tried, buckwheat apple muffins, did not use the flour blend. They smelled fantastic and were pretty good out of the oven but the flavor was kind of bland and I found that I didn't really want to finish eating them.

I'm also allergic to yeast and bananas (among other things) so there are a number of recipes I can't try. I would consider this a decent resource for those struggling to bake allergen-free, but know there will be some hits and misses along the way.

I have a stack of books to read, return, give up on...

No comments:

Post a Comment