Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Immigration Bill

I have seen and heard a lot of the press coverage around the AZ immigration bill that Governor Brewer signed. A lot of people seem to think that supporting the bill is racist, but the majority of Arizonans and Americans support some form of this action. A response I posted to a FB chat from Pennsylvania:

Warning, I live in Phoenix. Rant on! And all the people living in states with 1/3 of their population = illegal immigrants can seriously debate this issue. The rest can send your money to help us out since we're going broke paying for medical bills and education for a bunch of non-citizens. (NO they do NOT pay income taxes--they are paid off the books and I don't appreciate having to drive or walk through the loiterers waiting for work when I run errands.) And before you call me racist, my JOB is to work with non-citizens to LEGALLY become US citizens. I can't see why those law-abiding people should be disrespected by allowing law-breaking persons the same rights. In general, these illegal immigrants (NOT immigrants) do not carry insurance, do not follow our driving laws, and do not have respect for others' property. If you like knowing your neighbors, consider having a third of your neighborhood being nomadic (that's not even including snowbirds!). How about the house next door (in a good or bad neighborhood--it doesn't matter) holding 25-50 people. Wish it on your grandma, not mine. Rant off!

Listen, I don't agree with everything in the bill. I don't think we should be able to sue the police for non-enforcement. I do think the majority of the bill is the same as federal laws already in place. Since the federal government has not enforced our national security laws, it falls to the states to do the work. With ranchers dying near our borders just for living there making an honest living, it is about time that our representatives take our citizens' safety seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment