Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Constant snacking contributes to obesity in kids

While my gut reaction is "duh" I also realize that many parents seem oblivious to this fact. Kids are eating more snacks, with more calories and less nutrition, and getting fatter. Yes, kids should get snacks, but snacks are not treats.

I was a little upset at Anthony's first soccer game to realize that an article I had read making fun of the constant snacks available to the author's kids is what is actually happening. And worse, no one cares! The game was at 8 a.m. The kids are 4 and 5 and rotated throughout the game. At the end, they got Dunkin Donuts and "juice" bags. (yes, siblings watching the game got some too.) And everyone looks at me like I have three heads when I question it. "oh, they exercised." What? They didn't even break a sweat. And next, let's go to breakfast and feed them muffins (the 4 adult serving ones) and more juice.

Every group on the soccer fields had treats to give out, and I don't think I would consider any of them healthy. I would be a total outcast if I had decided to have kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment