Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Sunday, March 6, 2011

What would a Southern Baptist do?

As a Southern Baptist, I was not that familiar with Lent until my best friend discussed it with me.  C was raised Catholic; she showed me the other books of the bible that weren't in my King James Version and explained Lent to me.  She gave up things like donuts or sweets or candy each year until Easter.  So I started to do the same.  I remember my friend C telling me once that Lent wasn't about giving something up so everyone else could see it, but for yourself. (I'm paraphrasing; I hope I got it right.)  After we lost touch, I still did something for Lent each year.  A few years ago, I gave up soda and never went back.  I gave up chocolate for Lent one year, but that will never be a permanent lifestyle change!

The other day, when I came across the Dirty Shame blog, the first post did not catch my attention once I got past the title.  But directly below it was this story about a Southern Baptist learning about Lent.

It was sorta like 40 days of hearing Jesus say 'look, numbnuts, I lent you my blood on the cross, what have you done for me lately?' 

It was sorta like his friends were having a 40 day menstrualpalooza, he thought.

...the real question was - what would a Baptist, from the South, do?

His reference to the old rugged cross (yes, you have to read the whole thing, I'm not going to quote everything for you!) made me think of my favorite hymn.  Many years ago, I bought a hymnal at a music store so that I could learn to play it on the piano.  The piano I haven't played in a long time.  I haven't even had it tuned since we moved.  WTF is wrong with me?  Yes, I'm busy, don't always feel well, blah, blah, blah.  So I am going to call the tuner.  And then I will try to (re-)learn "The Old Rugged Cross" by Easter.  Not to play for anyone else, but just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment