Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Art of Racing in the Rain (a novel)

Then, late in the day on Saturday at Robbins Butte, two ladies were talking about how sick they've been.  I mentally panicked and then thought hopefully, I managed to avoid getting this bug when it went around my office, so I'll be fine.  Sunday, I thought my sneezing and drippy nose might be caused by allergies from being out in the dust at Robbins Butte.  But no--I stayed home with a cold yesterday and I'm home sick again today.

While we were out on Saturday, I started reading a book I picked up at the library's used book sale.  After sleeping most of the day yesterday, I finished reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein today.  A quick read, it is written from a dog's perspective.  I may be overly emotional because I'm sick (and stressed out since I can't DO anything on my very lengthy to-do list), but I found the book to be sweet and a little funny as well as teary-eye inducing.

Enzo talks about his life with race car driver Denny.  A canine who is ready to be human in his next life, he shares the events of their lives (amazing for a canine).  I'm not a race fan myself, but racing teaches Enzo:

That which you manifest is before you. 

His tale is an observation of humanity, at alternate moments inspiring and gut-wrenching.  Read it now: it appears there will be a movie version released in 2012.

2 comments:

  1. I think the point of a to-do list is to always have too much to do on it. It always depresses me too. How about we switch lives for a day and see how much we can check off the other's to-do list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a plan, but I'd rather just give you mine! :)

    ReplyDelete