Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Monday, March 7, 2011

Old cats, new vet

I kept moving the "find vet for cats" down on my to-do list.  At M's insistence that I get Jill's face lump looked at, I went online and looked for vets, taking out the ones I already heard questionable commentary about.  All the recommendations I have received so far were too far for the cats--they get so stressed out about travel.  I found two that were the same distance.  The one to the east had good online reviews unless the "other" doctor was involved.  The one to the southwest did not have much online feedback but appears to meet my criteria.  So we're off to Buckeye....

We discussed Jill's lump and the vet determined it was most likely a cyst.  We could take it off surgically and biopsy it or we could drain it and test the fluid.  She warned that it could come back and we have no idea how long it might be before that happens.  So that is the option I chose, and the fluid did not have any bacteria or other obvious issues.

She also pointed out that Jill is having some dental issues that could be causing her pain.  There is red around the lower gums and major tartar buildup on those teeth.  But a dental would require putting her under (and it's expensive), so I'm not sure that's a great option.  I am concerned that she is (may be) in pain--if her quality of life sucks while she's making my life suck, then what's the point....  (In case you are new here--Jill uses puppy pads because she refuses to use the litter box.  And she has nearly constant diarrhea and ear infections.)

The vet wanted to do senior lab panels for both cats, but looking at the price (after a $45 office visit per cat), I couldn't see spending the money.  We discussed Kachina's health issues (thyroid treatment, and diet for kidney function) and the vet pushed for a kidney panel, less than half the price of the senior panel.  I agreed, and the vet also pulled the records from Ark (which I thought they were going to do before the appointment.)

The vet called me to inform me that Kachina's kidney function had not changed since her last labs in June--it is still mild.  However, the two liver enzymes they test for in the kidney panel had come back elevated, at the high end of normal.  At the last test, it was much lower.  The vet wants Kachina to have more extensive testing--I am reluctant due to both price and effectiveness.  If the testing shows what the vet thinks it will (and maybe if it doesn't), an abdominal ultrasound will be recommended.  (ka-ching)

In addition, she prescribed an antioxidant for liver function; the office is sending some information to me about the medication.  I would need to give it to her twice a day, an hour before she eats.  I could start at once day but sounds like it would end up at twice a day anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment