Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Food and nutrition news and views

I found something to share with the gluten-free folks (I came to this through a link I saw for Red Velvet Cheesecake Pops.  I never expect to have the time to make these, but OMG, what an awesome idea.)

And some slow cooker recipes, including this pulled pork.  Have slow cooker, will learn and plan to use it.

What's in your smoothie?  I'm a fan of Jamba Juice and Robek's, going there for lunch occassionally when I've had a large breakfast.  I look at the nutrition book and stay away from the milkshakes in disguise.  Even so, I did not realize that there is Splenda in the dairy base at JJ (which I thought was frozen milk or soymilk for some reason).  I don't agree with the article wholeheartedly, but I know that I do NOT get "smoothies" at fast food restaurants after watching an employee make one at the milkshake machine.  The "real juice" advertised was more of a fruit syrup that went into the bottom of the cup and then was blended with ice cream.  So I make smoothies at home.  There is so much flexibility: frozen fruit, milk/almond milk/green tea/juice, yogurt (Cascade Fresh, the large container of blueberry or strawberry for sweetness), additives like flax or I used to do protein powder....  I have also used peanut butter on occassion; other nut butters would work too.

Tomato sauces in eco packaging and sweeted with carrot puree.  Hmm, pureed carrots as a sweetener.  Let the experiements begin.

The most awesome garden planner using the square foot gardening concept.  Use one of the pre-planned gardens and edit or plan from scratch.  I've been on this site before but don't remember this planner.

No comments:

Post a Comment