Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pimento cheese and IHOP "fruit"

I'm kind of a southern girl--but not totally.  I grew up in inner city Houston, and somehow, I was exposed to enough southern-ess that it is familiar to me.  It's almost like deja-vu, experiencing or hearing something southern.  But I am not overtly southern and am no expert on the deep South.

I have a bit of a fascination with pimento cheese.  I have a recipe (I haven't used, but can't get rid of) somewhere for how to make it.  I think I always had the "store-bought" kind.  I see it in the grocery store occassionally and think about buying it.  But it's not very good for you, so I have probably indulged that instinctive pull to the PC once in the past ten years.  Yes, I ate the whole (small) container--somehow managing to make it last for a few snacks, on crackers, apples, and celery sticks.  I didn't use it in a sandwich because I didn't have white bread.  And it has to be white bread.

The last story in the current issue of Gravy is about Pimento Cheese in North Carolina.  This must be why I've never seen anyone I know eat/have/serve PC:

“Approximately eighty percent of pimento cheese spreads are sold in eleven Southeastern markets,” Simerly told me, with Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte ranking as the two biggest pimento cheese–consuming locales.

Another story (that I didn't even read) in this issue had this quote:

“I took my son to the IHOP, and they brought out pancakes with canned fruit on top. It broke his heart.”

Last time I ordered blueberry pancakes at IHOP, I forgot to tell the server that I didn't want any of that goopy crap on my pancakes.  It's not fruit, so I'd rather have syrup.  So, I got that glop on my pancakes.  I didn't realize the feeling I had at that moment was my heart breaking...

No comments:

Post a Comment