Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Saturday, December 5, 2009

USDAA Agility Trial

It was cold and windy today. Mostly cold--I kept my long sleeve Tshirt and sweatshirt on most of the day, plus gloves. Cassi and Teka wore their sweaters, except when they were warming up and running their agility runs.

We had Standard course first. Cassi did pretty well actually, but we did not qualify. She completed the (12) weaves but popped out a couple of times and had to go back in--actually, the first time she had to restart because I wasn't sure where she popped out. She got a table fault (on, then off, then back on), then hit the wrong end of the tunnel. She ended with a bang--a fast teeter and a tire without any hesitation. Whoo-hoo.

Teka started out pretty well. She popped out of the weaves too but completed them. We've been working on switch and I think she's starting to get it. She booked it across the dog walk--unfortunately, I didn't slow her down and she missed the contact, and then she flew onto and off of the table for a table fault. I ended up on the "wrong" side and should have just gone with it but tried to rear cross the teeter--big mistake. Teka was already on it and it ended up hitting me. Just barely, but still, I touched the equipment--big no-no, and everyone thought it hit my leg and hand pretty hard but really it grazed my hand and knee. Teka also finished with the tire. I think she had a lot of fun. She is really fast and needs a new handler!

I ran leashes for Steeplechase which had a great configuration for something I'd like to set up for the girls to practice. There were weaves that headed into a tunnel and then back out into the weaves. Also, there was a four jump serpentine that headed into a broad jump and ended with a perpendicular jump.

We ran Snooker at the end of the day. I'm still trying to get the rules on this one, so I actually messed up both of my dogs' runs. The basics are that each obstacle has a flag with a number. The red flags are numbered 1, and for this course there were 3 red flags, then a 2 (jump), 3 (chute), 4 (tire), 5 a and b (winged jump and tunnel combo), 6 a b and c (winged jumps combo), and 7 (weaves). The opening is completed by doing a 1, any obstacle, a 1, any obstacle, a 1, any obstacle. The judge said completing the 1 is like getting the key to do the next thing; you can't do any obstacle without the 1 first. After the opening is done, the closing is the 2-7 in order. After the 7, you still have to cross the finish line to stop the timer. (Several people missed that and one disqualified herself by touching her dog thinking she was done but she hadn't gone across the finish yet.)

Cassi's run, we did the 1 jump, 2 jump, 1 jump, 5 tunnel and jump, then i was planning to go to the other 1 jump, but as we were passing the tire, Cassi took it. Since she hadn't yet done another 1 jump, we were done. I was disappointed because it didn't even occur to me that she might take that tire as she doesn't like the tire. And she did it fabulously! So I told her how great she did anyway since it was my gault!

Teka's run, I was going to do essentially the same thing. We did the 1 jump, 2 jump, 1 jump, then headed to the 5 tunnel and jump. She went past the tunnel so, since the 5 was bidirectional, I had her go over the jump but then she went in the wrong end of the tunnel. So I had her re-do the jump and tunnel. Oops--I guess we were supposed to do another 1 before trying again. Aargh!

I think I am going to skip Snookers for a while. I know that a lot of people think that Snooker is a fun game because you kind of make up your own course and come up with your own strategy, but I kind of prefer knowing what I have to do. I like the structure! Maybe I'll get it eventually but I think my brain just doesn't work that way! When I was looking at the entry form, I knew I would do Standard on Saturday, but for my second choice, it was Pairs or Snooker, so I took Snooker. I think I might try Pairs next time. I don't have to find someone--they do a draw unless you request to be paired (or not) with someone specific.

Oh, the other thing was that I talked to Billie about her Control Unleashed group. Two different people mentioned it to me recently when I was complaining about my problem child. :) It's more like a study group or book club with practice. I need to get and read the book and then I can attend as often or as little as I'd like. It sounds pretty promising--we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment