Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Agility class

I missed class last week, but it got cancelled for weather anyway. Tonight was course night and I was able to run each dog three times.



The course started with a jump to another jump, wrapping back to the first jump before heading into a tunnel. Both of my girls seemed to think they did something wrong that they were heading back to the same jump, so they were slow to start and I had to re-motivate them as we headed into/out of the tunnel. From there, I moved left but kept my arm up, telling her "out hup" for the next jump, then "here" as I took a left turn. The tunnel was a straight shot and I rear crossed and moved to the right. As she came out, I called her name and got varying amounts of success or spinning. I called her over the jump, turning to send over the next jump and then a subtle fake cross to send her out to the weave entry. They both got it except for Teka missed it the third time through.

From there, she was on my right and I sent her through the tire, over a jump to a broad jump. I was able to rear cross for Cassi, and Teka did it the first time, but then I had to run past the broad jump for her and then U-turn back to the next jump. To make sure she didn't go back into the long tunnel, I shifted my shoulders to the right for the triple jump, then called "switch" for the next jump. I used "wrap" to get her to U-turn to the tunnel--I was really surprised that they both did it without me going all the way out with them. It was great distance, especially for Teka.

Coming out of the tunnel, I was on the left, and the next jump was a right turn, so we were instructed to do a front cross, but I kept finding myself too far behind, getting to the tunnel exit around the same time as the dogs, so I rear crossed. The last time through with Cassi, I tried to do it anyway and ended up looking like we were doing a weird dance; everyone was amused. Then I tried it with Teka, and I actually beat her to the end (it was her slowest time through the course) so I did the front cross. On my sixth try. There were just the two jumps after that, kind of a U-turn shape.

I have to decide between going to class next week, which is our last class--I'm super surprised, thought we had another after that--or going to a meetup that I was invited to for discussing my crazy diet. I feel like I should do that for my health but running agility is for my health too. Conflicted...

‎"You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage -- pleasantly, smilingly, nonapologetically -- to say 'no' to other things. And the way to do that is by having a bigger 'yes' burning inside. The enemy of the 'best' is often the 'good."--Stephen Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment