Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's Not All In Your Head

I've been having a hard time with things.  Nothing in particular.  Just things.  All of a sudden, I'm just overwhelmed and I fall to pieces.  I know it will be better, and probably very soon.  But I can't stop falling apart with the smallest provocation.  Things just don't seem to be going smoothly.  At all.

I just returned this book to the library.  I thought it was good although I took quite a while to work my way through it.  I'm not sure there was anything new but it did validate some of the things I've picked up and implemented in my life.  The author spends some time talking about the cognitive and emotional problems we may have with MS, including examples from specific people, touching on blame and moral judgment; unresolved conflicts causing physical symptoms; the triad of depression, anxiety and pain;

Here are some excerpts (from the author and from people with MS):

  • It's the power of the possible that counts.
  • Maybe I wasn't eating healthy, maybe I wasn't a good person, maybe I didn't pray enough.  I wonder if this is God giving me a message, or what I did I do wrong?  The truth...is that I didn't do anything wrong.
  • It's not all in your head; it's in your immune system too.
  • Forgetting may be more of a matter of displacement than disappearance.

Then the book gets into how to deal with with all these stuff going on in our heads.  Recommended actions include exercise, meditation, and journaling.  These are things I'm doing but I don't feel like any of it is working right now!  It was a good reminder that I'm not alone, others feel this way, and I am going to have to keep working on my health.

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? --Ancient philosopher

No comments:

Post a Comment