Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Saturday, May 7, 2011

So many cars, so little time

My Volvo is falling apart, so we are looking for a new car.  It will be my commuter car, so the primary factors to be considered are fuel efficiency, safety, and price.  I drive on the interstate with big trucks, so I don't want something unsafe.  My Volvo was our first "expensive" car and that has not ended well (maintenance has been very expensive).  And I drive 30 miles each way to work.

Of course the first car to consider is the Prius.  I'm reluctant because one, everyone has one, and two, I understand that the manufacturing is not environmentally friendly.  But it is THE most fuel efficient car, has very good safety ratings, and is reasonably priced.

My husband agreed to work with me to analyze the options and see what else could be possible.  After he worked on a spreadsheet, our short list included a couple of Volkswagons, a Lexus, and a couple of Hyundais.  The Volkswagons were both diesel, which is currently priced higher than other fuel.  While fairly fuel efficient, they weren't as good as the Prius.  And they were manual, which I haven't driven in about 20 years and my husband was not at all excited about.  The Lexus hybrid was the most expensive of the options, but still pretty reasonable and safe.  The Hyundai hybrid also did not match or beat the Prius.  The Hyundai Elantra is not a hybrid but seemed to be less expensive and very fuel efficient for a non-hybrid vehicle.  My BIL has one, but I think he bought it when they were still lower priced.  I test drove one, but the bottom line was that it was about the same price as the Prius, although I'd lose about 10 mpg in fuel efficiency.

Although several people will give me grief (and many more won't agree with our decision), I put a deposit on a  Prius and will be driving one by the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment