Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Garden bits

Don’t waste time, money and energy on unnecessary fertilizers.

111 Herbs, Vegetables, Edible Flowers, & Fruit to Plant in Your Kitchen Garden  (I may have posted this already, but I love lists.  This has lists.  And links and ideas about the items in the lists.  For example: Marigolds - Plants these near tomatoes to deter pests. The flowers can be used as a substitute for saffron.)

Stainless steel kitchens.  Why?  Why, I ask?  sigh.  Two ideas for the price (free) of one: Cucumber insides brighten up stainless steel.  A simple paste of lemon juice and cream of tartar polishes brass, aluminum and stainless steel.  Also how to make your own essential oil with herbs.  I will be a DIY-er when I grow up!

I also want to try square foot gardening when I grow up.  You too, can have a SFG in just ten easy steps for the low, low price of supplies.

I just threw my Seventh Generation laundry detergent bottle in the recycle bin.  I could've had a watering can.  There are other gardening uses for old things--aluminimum foil gets rid of aphids, boiling water kills weeds coming up between pavement cracks, coffee grounds can skip the compost pile and go directly to the roses, and green onions regenerate in a small cup of water in a sunny spot.

I would like to label all my roses in a more permanent manner.  Hmmm, popsicles sticks and acrylic sealer.  Or I can use clear packing tape on the current labels and attach to a popsicle stick.  Am I going to have to have a popsicle party?

No comments:

Post a Comment