Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Monday, May 16, 2011

Going Green. Or white.

I can't get behind the efforts to convert to CFLs--the squiggly bulbs with mercury in them and poor performance.  So I keep reading about LED technology and waiting for the bulbs to cost less than lunch for two.  I relate to the struggle this author has, wanting to take notice of recent news (like the NYT story she listed, with bulbs around $20, or the story I recently saw about Philips' new bulb) but skeptical of the "too good to be true" ring of the hype.  She lists the pros and cons of LED; fortunately, the cons are improving and are not as significant as "contains mercury."  (I still don't understand why this is NOT an issue for almost everyone, especially environmentalists.)

She gives several tips for choosing bulbs, including logos to look for.  Highlights include looking at lighting design stores, selecting "wattage...“equal to” or “equivalent to” not “similar to” a comparable incandescent wattage" , and testing the bulb after 30 minutes of use (it should not be too hot, or cold, but rather warm to the touch).  There are some notes on dimmers and colors also.

The bottom line is that a lot of research has to be done, "just" to buy energy efficient light bulbs.  Unless my husband decides to go green and research this, I don't think it's going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment