Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Monday, May 17, 2010

Take my $$ and give it to anyone that wants it

When I started at my current company, I was encouraged (by someone no longer at the company) to volunteer with a group called Arizona Saves. I thought it was a great idea--I would be able to practice public speaking by presenting to low income persons about topics like banking and checking, having a budget, buying a house, etc. After going though the initial training, I attended some presentations to get a feel for it. I started getting the list of available times and topics and was not able to make it work for a while due to either my schedule or their need for a Spanish speaker. Eventually, I went to another training. I think I paid more attention to some details I missed the first time around. I did some research and found that all the banks I checked would take a matricular consulate card as ID to open an account. I backed out of volunteering as I wanted to help low income Americans, not illegal immigrants.

So this article talks about certain locations in the US issuing IDs for illegal immigrants so they can access libraries, medical centers and doctors’ offices; seek help from charitable organizations and private social service agencies; and use the city’s public recreation centers and pools.

Why should they be able to access those programs? I pay taxes for those services to be available to Americans, right? I guess not. I understand the health and safety of that population can impact our health and safety, but why are we so scared to enforce our laws and our borders?

No comments:

Post a Comment