Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Thursday, June 4, 2009

MS Drug Trial

I sent this as part of an email to my co-workers to explain my upcoming absence:

I am participating in a Phase III MS drug trial for Alemtuzumab (Campath). The standard MS treatment consists of self-injections, which I have been doing since 2005. By participating in the trial, I won't have to inject myself for the next two years; however, I have 5 days of IVs now with another 3 days next year. Previous phases of Alemtuzumab trials have shown very promising results relative to current treatments. This drug is already approved for use in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia and T-cell lymphoma, so this is kind of like an off-label use trial, i.e. using an FDA approved drug for a different use. I am very lucky to have very mild symptoms, though you probably wouldn't want to see pictures of my brain and spine. (Yes, I have a brain! I have MRI photos on CD to prove it!) Since this treatment essentially reboots the immune system, if you are sick, stay home or at least stay away from me.
I have an appointment each day next week at 9 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment