Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Monday, April 23, 2012

Just let it go.

I was upset all day about my bad attitude yesterday.  I know that I can't control other people, I can only control my reaction to other people.  And I try to mentally prepare and practice positive reactions when I am not feeling it.  But what I know doesn't always translate to what I do or what I say.

For my regular readers (all 3 of you), maybe this starts to explain the issue going on in my head emotions:

Serving is different from helping. Helping is not a relationship between equals. A helper may see others as weaker than they are, needier than they are, and people often feel this inequality. The danger in helping is that we may inadvertently take away from people more than we could ever give them; we may diminish their self-esteem, their sense of worth, integrity or even wholeness.

...

Serving requires us to know that our humanity is more powerful than our expertise. In forty-five years of chronic illness I have been helped by a great number of people, and fixed by a great many others who did not recognize my wholeness. All that fixing and helping left me wounded in some important and fundamental ways. Only service heals.

I don't know how to "fix" my bad attitude but I hope as I understand where others are coming from, I can accept that they just can't help me as I would like to be helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment