Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Hi.  My name is "Dog Days in Arizona" and I collect recipes.  Yes, I make recipes sometimes, but mostly, I collect recipes.  And interesting ideas.  And nifty tips.  You too, can share my problem.  I recommend you start by picking up old cooking magazines at Half-Priced Books for 50 cents each.
  • Bake bananas for 15 minutes (350) with butter and cinnamon or chocolate chips and marshmallows.
  • Cook Irish oats in the rice cooker (1 cup oats, 3 cups water, 1 Tbsp butter) for an easy, hot breakfast in 10-15 minutes.  This could totally work for me--I go to the kitchen to feed the girls, then head upstairs to get showered.  When I come back to make sure the canines have gone outside, my breakfast would be ready to go with me in the car.  Don't judge me for eating in my car!  I can't eat for an hour after taking my thyroid medication, so I'm usually on the freeway by then.
  • Make stuffed shells--freeze half (at least) for another night.  I'm thinking that this could work for manicotta, the man's favorite.  The only issue is the one recurring issue I have at my house--planning to make something, and then life intervenes and suddenly, the frozen meal has been in the fridge "thawing" for 3 days.  I'm also thinking that I have a better "stuff" recipe, but I love the idea.  And I'll have to serve it with make-ahead garlic bread.
  • Double the recipe, make pumpkin bread or banana butterscotch muffins (O.M.G. you know you want some), and freeze half for another week's breakfast.
  • I work with a guy who makes burritos and then eats them for days and days and it just seems so, so boring to eat the same thing so, so much.  However, you can make chicken (or other) burritos and freeze them.  They don't even have to be thawed before microwaving (and/or baking) before eating.  (Note: the chicken recipe will also make some chicken broth to use when making rice.)
  • You know those awesomely yummy Banquet chicken pot pies that are really, really bad for you in many, many ways?  Make your own pot pie and double or triple the recipe so that some can be frozen for later!  I am in love with this idea (not necessarily the actual recipe, but the basics) because the pies can be customized for me and the man.  I need to figure out the individual pie size pans or other dish....
  • We have been eating these steak flautas that Costco has been carrying recently.  Um, no, they are not healthy in any way at all; why do you ask?  They also had chicken empanadas but the man like the flautas better.  I think I could make these empanadas as flautas with corn tortillas (or small flour tortillas).  When I have time...
  • In an earlier post, I reported on how disgusting pre-shredded cheese is, although I have used it for years.  This week, I made burritos using some thawed, previously frozen bison meat--I just add some salsa and water and a little of this and a little of that (this and that being half the seasonings "for tacos" in my drawer).  It turned out really well, much better than I expected since I didn't mix in the fattier ground beef.  I also grated some Colby-Jack.  I should have grated the whole chunk and frozen the half we didn't use.  I have a chunk of pepper-jack, too.  And Cheddar-chipotle.  I like cheese.
  • The man's cousin was in town and has an Italian wife who makes her own red sauce.  I have a recipe I used to make and I loved the flavors, but who has time?  So I usually just use a good jar of sauce.  Maybe making it in a crock pot when I'm going to be home all day anyway would be a great way to start freezing my own sauce.  Too ambitous?
Note: I got most of this from links on Mom's Plan.  I am not going to follow Mom's Plan or The Full Table.  See "I have a problem--I collect recipes."

No comments:

Post a Comment