Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Saturday, June 4, 2011

Braised Fingerling Potatoes

Adapted from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" Braised Potatoes:
2 pounds potatoes (I used a bag of fingerling potatoes)
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
one small onion, minced (I used about a quarter of a huge red onion)
2 cups stock or water (I used a can of chicken stock)
1/4 cup chopped parsley for garnish

Cut the potatoes into chunks.  Heat oil in pan.  Add potatoes, salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until turning golden brown, about 10 minutes.  Add onion, cook till soft, a couple minutes, stirring as needed.  Add stock and water until potatoes are barely covered.  Bring to a boil, stirring every once in a while to make sure the potatoes aren't sticking.  Turn heat to medium so the mixture bubbles gently.  Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 to 25 minutes.  Add more liquid if they start to stick.  Taste and adjust seasoning and garnish.

Note that I added carrots about halfway through.  The parsley at the end is a nice touch.  I under-seasoned overall.  And I did not add more liquid, and thought I ended up with too much--I thought about removing the potatoes and carrots to another dish.  This would be a good "crowd" dish and it would go well with a roast of some type; however, M did not like it as much as the "normal" fried potatoes.

I used the leftover potatoes by frying them in a skillet with a little oil, letting them get browned again, adding zucchini and seasoning mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment