Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Saturday, August 22, 2009

Whole Foods CEO--brilliant or bananas?

This opinion article addresses John Mackey's (the Whole Foods CEO) WSJ article (and includes a link to it). http://www.thebigmoney.com/articles/money-trail/2009/08/20/has-whole-foods-ceo-gone-completely-bananas

I don't think that Mr. Mackey is wrong (although I don't agree with it all) and I don't think that Whole Foods should be boycotted for anything he said. If they are to be boycotted, it's because of their high prices! Actually, I shop there occasionally to get ideas of new ways to improve my diet.

I disagree on this item: Repeal government mandates regarding what insurance companies must cover. People are going to pick the cheapest coverage and then they will be angry that the insurance doesn't cover some expensive treatment for cancer or a disease. I've already seen that in today's coverage. Oprah had someone on her show (with Michael Moore) a couple of years ago and he was mad that his insurance only covered him to a certain amount and then he was on his own and had to raise the funds for his treatment. But he PICKED that coverage. It was the lowest cost coverage his employer offered, but not the only one.

The idea that Mr. Mackey does not include that would decrease costs significantly is standardizing the claims process and forms throughout companies. I don't know if it's possible but it certainly sounds good.

I support Mr. Mackey in his intelligent thought-out expression of his opinion as well as the integrity he shows his employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment