Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Monday, June 28, 2010

Gray squirrels in Phoenix

While we were in Pahrump, M's parents stayed at our house to watch the dogs and cats and work on our to-do list for us. They went above and beyond and I'm glad they did, with one exception.

We've been putting plastic chairs and flower pots on the bench in front of our outdoor fireplace so that Cassi can't look over the fence at the neighbors' dogs. A small space has a plastic flower pot filled with firewood someone gave us. I noticed when we returned that the firewood was in the fireplace and thought that could be a safety issue when the dogs are trying to find lizards in there, but I left it and we headed off to Vegas. This morning, I noticed that Cassi and Teka were both trying to get into the fireplace. I didn't want them to hurt each other with the chair that was in their way, so I went over and pulled it down and started taking the wood out of the fireplace. To my surprise, a baby squirrel jumped out, directly into Cassi's path. It had no chance. I felt so bad! In my defense, I have been trying to keep the adult squirrel from making a home in my yard. And then M's parents built the nest in my fireplace!

After Cassi finally gave me her catch, I told M what had happened. I went out to see if there was anything else in the fireplace--it was early for me and it actually hadn't occurred to me yet that the fireplace was the nest, I kind of thought it was just one squirrel--but there was another one. It stayed put and we put the dogs inside for the day. It appears that the mom moved the baby during the day, probably after finding the other one missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment