Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Thursday, January 2, 2014

Whole30

After much (internal) debate and quite a bit of research, I have decided to do the Whole30, starting January 2nd.

That's today!

I don't feel that I prepared enough but I'm going to do it anyway. For example, I got this cute Crock Pot Lunch warmer, which is a lunch warmer, as you may have guessed. Well, I didn't! I thought I could put some stuff in it to cook by lunch time. But it needs to already be cooked. It's still awesome but not quite as useful as I'd hoped.

If you know my diet, you may wonder why I would cut out even MORE. After a while of intermittent constipation and diarrhea, I recently had a couple bouts of painful diarrhea, with stomach cramping as I have rarely had. It was not my old back/butt pain, but definitely D-cramping.

I will not tolerate this any longer. My body obviously doesn't like something I'm doing so it's time to figure out what that something is.

Since I already eat no gluten or wheat, no dairy, no soy, no artificial sweeteners, I'm already halfway there. Right? Maybe.

For the next 30+ days, I will not have sugar, grains, or legumes. I thought about trying to do the AIP version but I don't want to set myself up for failure. I already have the no eggs part but the no nightshades is rough. I grow and eat a lot of tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. This seems like enough. But I will have to try that next if I don't get relief.

Did you know there is sugar in nearly all sausage and bacon? Nix my shortcut breakfast.

Did you notice that most nuts have peanut (legume) oil or some other not great oil? Snacks are allowed but looks rough so far.

I bought orange juice and almond milk at Costco while I was sick. Let me repeat. At. Costco. I hope it is still good next month...

I am probably not going to document everything as I go but I will try to hit the highlights.

Starting weight: 173.5 (no scale usage during the Whole30!)

What I ate:
Breakfast (yep, this was it; I will do better...)
Hot water with juice of half a lemon
Bulletproof coffee (oh how I miss my Torani syrup and almond milk)

Lunch (a coworker thought it looked good!)
Leftover salmon my DH smoked
Half package organic sweet potatoes steamers from Costco
Large handful frozen Earthbound Farms organic spinach
3 small tomatoes from my garden
It's all mixed up. Like me.
Snack
Cliff Kits organic cashew bar

Dinner
Jerk chicken
Mustard greens (using collard greens recipe from Well Fed 2; I used dried unsweetened cherries instead of cranberries)
Microwave baked sweet potato
mine in front, Mick's in back
Snack: hot tea (it was nearing bedtime and I was hungry; it didn't fill me but tookmthemgrumbling away at least...)

Mustard greens from my garden!
I also roasted turnips and made happy belly beets from Well Fed 2.
I used apple cider vinegar instead of rice wine vinegar.
I have a lot of food ready for cooking this weekend. I hope I have the energy!
beets, pistachios, etc...


No comments:

Post a Comment