Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Monday, January 14, 2013

Yellow Eyed Peas

I feel like my appetite is kind of off somehow. I'm hungry but not really at my normal times. I was starving but my stomach also felt unsettled while I was driving to Labcorp for my thyroid fasting blood work. And last night, I was super hungry before bedtime, but I didn't eat then since I was fasting.

At my normal lunchtime, I was completely uninterested in eating, but I knew I'd be hungry later so I ate. Then, late in the afternoon, I was really hungry. And then I couldn't stop coughing. So I wasn't hungry FOR anything. It's a weird feeling anyway.

A few days ago, I made this package of yellow eyed peas that I picked up at the farmers market. I used diced pancetta and Italian seasonings, kind of a mix of recipes I ran across, which I served with some rice. Mick said it was bland. I thought it was okay but not so great. So tonight, I decided to "doctor" it like red beans and rice. I found some Niman Farms (g/f, no nitrates) spicy andouille sausage so I sliced it up, and started it cooking in some duck fat. When it got fragrant and started to look cooked, I added the peas (using a slotted spoon to leave behind the liquid) and a half a bottle of Annie's barbecue sauce. I would have used my own homemade sauce but we don't have any right now! I served the resulting spicy goodness over leftover rice. Mick like this one much better.

It is so cold here, even the east coasters are complaining. I wore a long sleeve Tshirt under a sweater for work along with boots and a scarf. My jacket stayed on my lap most of the day, too. Brrrr.

I'm feeling kinda muffin toppy. I guess I look it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment