Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Friday, April 15, 2011

What to eat. Or not.

Here are a few highlights of food related health links:
  • I have tried to eliminate artificial sweeteners (including those claiming to be natural--like Xylitol, which is killing dogs) and thought this flowchart was an interesting way to look at the decision.
  • I keep hearing about the need to buy organic, grass-fed and grass-finished beef, but I'm not aware of any local providers. When we get a freezer, I may consider buying online for delivery.
  • The spices of life may have health benefits.
  • Cherries have antioxidants and may reduce heart disease.  More importantly for me (and MS), cherries may decrease inflammation.
  • Oh, vegans.  There are so many things I don't understand.  I have never understood why vegans want to eat food that is meat-like.  If you don't eat meat, why eat "chick-n" or whatever fake food?  Eat real food--if that's not enough, then the lifestyle might have some deficiency to be evaluated.  A vegan magazine has been using stock photos containing meat as illustrations in their magazine.  For 12 years.  I got a cooking magazine for many years, and I know that they photograph some recipes, test almost all (maybe not reader recipes), and don't include photographs for every recipe.  Why does this vegan magazine have to use stock photos and/or use non-vegan photos?  It's unethical behavior by a group of people who claim to be more ethical than the rest of us.  I'll have to continue to disagree.
  • Archer Farms Tumeric, sold at Target, has lead in it.  While no illnesses have been reported, HOW this happened has also not been reported.
  • The latte ritual gets a green makeover: use an unbleached or, even better, a reusable hemp filter, use a reusable cup, compost the grounds, and use white vinegar and hot water to clean the coffee pot.

1 comment:

  1. I'll send you the link to grass feed beef in Wickenberg. I've never tried him but have heard fabulous things.

    ReplyDelete