Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Thursday, April 28, 2011

Every day is Earth Day

My coffee maker is broke.  I only make a cup of coffee each day.  My niece has one of those machines that makes a cup from a little plastic cup of coffee.  It seems pretty handy, but I thought--what happens to all these little plastic cups of coffee grounds?  And then I asked the lady at Starbucks if they had coffee grounds for my compost (since I'm not making any right now).  The Starbucks by my work has the grounds packaged, but this one essentially gave me a plastic bag of grounds.  When I put them in my composter, I noticed that there were little round shapes.  And then I read that they are using K-cups.  The author, like me, is an environmentalist in the making; the comments remind me of why I'm not sure I'll ever make my blog "public."  Yes, I will still go to Starbucks sometimes!

I don't usually plan ahead of time that I'm going to Starbucks, so I probably won't have my own cup, so I am part of the 99+% who get their coffee in paper cups.  But more interesting in this article, Safeway and Target have higher ratings for sustainable seafood than Whole Foods (or most every other supplier).

I have had some itchy issues with my scalp and tried some of those natural, expensive shampoos without any benefit.  I'm not sure if this is enough to get me to try again.  Sodium laureth sulfate is a very effective foaming agent, which makes it highly effective in the removal of oily stains and residues.  It has also been reported to have other undesirable effects on skin and the environment.

I'm inclined to believe that BPA is not safe, but Coke (among many products) has said they will not change their packaging since evidence is insufficient.  Maybe there is insufficient evidence because:  Four authors of a new report that finds “no noteworthy risk” in human exposure to bisphenol-A (BPA) have ties either to the chemical industry or to companies and groups involved in the manufacture or promotion of BPA.

No comments:

Post a Comment