Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Thursday, April 14, 2011

Crazy. Or desperate. Or completely sane and overdue.

I was considering rereading the MS Recovery Diet and found the book's website.  When I read the book several yeas ago, I decided against the diet because it was so extreme for me, but the underlying thesis made some sense.  Since reading that book, I've read a LOT online about diet helping symptoms of MS and other diseases; I've also discussed it with believers in the diet.

With my ongoing pain issues, and lack of any medical professional wanting to help me reduce or eliminate my pain (with the exception of one yoga therapist who has helped me cope better), I feel I need to do something on my own.  But what?  What can I do?  And if I do nothing, how can I justify doing nothing?  How can I complain when I take little or no action?

As I was browsing the website, I remembered that one of the interesting things I found in the book was that, in leiu of an elimination diet (difficult and confusing), a blood test could be run to determine delayed onset food allergies.  This type of allergy is harder to diagnose than immediate onset since it can take anywhere from a couple of hours to several days to see symptoms.  (And by then, many other things have been consumed.)

I think the price of the test has come down since I last looked at this option--it is about $300 for a finger-stick kit that will screen for 96 items.  Knowing someone who has done a supervised elimination diet, and knowing that I've had no luck getting anyone to prescribe or refer such a service for me, I am REALLY tempted.  Is it worth it to spend $300 for potentially less pain in my life?  My insurance won't cover it.  Maybe I would get an answer to the question: why do I feel worse when I take better care of myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment