Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Weave 101

D gave us instructions for five exercises and paired us up. The first exercise was the Weavomatic, 12 weaves, with the treat bag at the end. We did send, recall, and run with on each side (moving away on one). I had to back chain at first; Teka ran around the weaves to get her treat bag.

Next we did the channel weaves, with the same send, recall and run on each side. D pointed out that Teka's footwork was not very good. It started to improve when I ran ahead of her, so D suggested I do run with, send, run with, recall, to keep her motivation up.

Next we worked on the two poles for entry. There are four positions I need to be in with her on my left and then do the opposite order with her on my right side to practice rear crosses.

Then we moved on to a four pole exercise, but for Teka it was the same 2 pole exercise. I need to focus on getting her around the pole, using the treat and click, not stepping with her--keep my feet together and step after she goes. D suggested I get cheese puff balls so I can throw one by my feet to drive her around that pole.

Last, we did "toy torture" using a treat bag at the end of a 6 pole Weaveomatic but another toy off to the side. Teka did figure out the game of going to her treat bag instead of the toy, but only got about 50%, so we have to be careful with this exercise for now.

It was exciting to see that she was having some fun and catching on to the games. She didn't seem to mind the other dogs (there are only 3 others in her class). She did potty as soon as we left the building. I need to pack a mat to put in the kennels there for her. And lots more treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment