Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Friday, August 20, 2010

Agility Weave Intro

With our impending move to the west side, I decided to check out Top Notch Canines, the agility training facility closest to our new house. M went with me to check it out. It's an indoor facility (evap, not a/c--hot). I sent applications for Cassi and Teka and got a call from D. She suggested handling classes. I decided to sign them up for Weave classes which are actually every other week, so they will alternate. (I go every week, but one or the other of them goes.) As a prerequisite, I had to go today for a private session. She pinpointed some issues each of them has and gave me some starter exercises and tips. Main things are I should not use my hands to signal; I'm over supporting I guess.

D explained the 2 weaves for my practice: I need to start with the clicker in the left hand, treat in the right hand (hand on hip), look at weave pole--not the dog, can hold the collar (underneath, not overhand) and let go when she is looking, treat at chest level by the pole. This will help get the head close to the weave poles. On the full set of poles, we will use the target (treat bag laying open but not upright) to increase drive and getting the head down.

We also discussed Cassi's teeter issue and she wants me to take a plank (the size of a teeter board) and make sure it is painted and texturized, then use it for training. She can be clicker/treat trained for looking at it, walking on it, turning, etc, to get her to feel comfortable.

The facility does a dog food order every four weeks, and she mentioned that the brand my dogs eat was recently bought out by Proctor & Gamble. She is from Cincinnati and has issues with their animal testing for cosmetics, in addition to some questionable products. I will have to keep an eye on this news.

No comments:

Post a Comment