Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Saturday, February 27, 2010

UK Bans Barber from Composting

A barber has been taking home hair clippings to his personal compost pile for 40 years. Now he's been told to send it to the landfill instead (pay for trash service) AND a minor comment is included that he can't take newspapers home either. As noted in the article, hair is great in the compost pile. I would guess that when it ends up on the floor of the barber shop, it is clean (hair is generally washed before cutting) and since it's a barber shop, there should be little argument about chemicals (from color or perms) I guess.

I wanted to find a place to take recyclables for my office. (The office management has elected to not pay to have it picked up separate from trash, so I take it home.) I have not been able to find a place to take anything except a donation bin for newpapers/magazines/paper. Someone (Waste Management?) is either making money or will eventually make money on processing these items, right? As an individual, am I giving away my trash so someone else can profit? Will there come a time when our government says I can't compost or recycle as I want?
http://www.care2.com/causes/environment/blog/uk-barber-banned-from-composting/more/

No comments:

Post a Comment