Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Monday, March 23, 2009

Learning from Dog Training Shows

I just caught up on my Dog Whisperer and It's Me or the Dog episodes. I certainly don't agree with Cesar or Victoria on everything but here's what I picked up this time. Cesar says "You don't always get the dog you want, but you get the dog you need." I like that; it applies to alot of things in life! He also showed what we have been doing wrong with Teka--when she snaps at a dog, she gets removed or the other dog gets removed. I don't know that we have enough control over it (who wants to leave their dog there for our training purposes?) but she should not be removed, just calmed and walked back in to greet. I'll see what I can do. I think she is going to visit my sister soon. :) (5 dogs on 10 acres, they'll teach her what's up.)

Victoria showed some home adaptations for an older dog that was going blind. I've never dealt with something like that so it was interesting. She recommended putting a different scented (unlit) candle in each room so the dog knows where it is. Also, for places the dog will have to step up or down, put a mat with a different texture than the rest of the flooring to signify the change. That might also work for locations that the door is sometimes closed but not always.

No comments:

Post a Comment