Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Friday, May 27, 2011

Food bits

I keep running across this Paleo Diet; it seems to be everywhere online, but no where in real life.  Here's why: nothing processed--grains, dairy, salt, beans/legumes, potatoes, sugar, and refined, factory-made foods.  That's right, no coffee, tea, beer, wine--no beverage except water.  While I think this is probably the best summary I have seen, I'm pretty sure PD is not for me.

As a relative newcomer to coffee drinking, I read quite a few labels looking for creamer.  I wanted something with a little sweetness so I wouldn't add a ton of sugar.  I decided on a couple of brands, but determined that non-dairy creamer was not for me.  (So I can't do a dairy-free diet!)  I do not expect to drink coffee at most places since I made this decision to avoid non-dairy creamerCOFFEE-MATE is a fine example of an ongoing American trend towards “foodstuffs” instead of food.  Cream, by definition, is a dairy product, and therefore a product labeled as a “non-dairy creamer” is obviously… what exactly? In many parts of the world, COFFEE-MATE must be called not creamer but “whitener,” as the label of “cream” misleadingly implies a dairy product.  I may try half-and-half as suggested, but I am a fan of La Creme.  It keeps me away from the lattes and mochas most of the time.

I have vodka.  I think I'm going to make vanilla extract.  I should grow my own vanilla for it too!  I'm not making my own vodka though.  I think "they" have that down already.

These gluten-free pancakes look AWESOME.  The recipe is from the main ingredient maker, so I have to be a little skeptical, but what if they are AWESOME?  Okay, I'm not eating gluten-free, but I am inundated with information about MS patients improving their health through gluten-free (among others) diets.  Where are my g/f peeps?  Make these and tell me if they are AWESOME.  Bonus: Extra batter will keep in refrigerator in airtight container for up to 3 days.  I think that translates as "convenience food."

So this isn't REALLY a food bit, but egg whites are used in the DIY version of pore cleansing strips.  What a great, inexpensive idea.  It's weird, but it's weird to use the convential strips.  I love how she (not your typical tree hugger--I thought that was me?!) calls it a ghetto-fabulous tip and gives the last step: check for porcupines.  If you've used pore strips--you know what she means.  If you haven't, well, what are you waiting for?  You're skin is disgusting.  How has no one told you that yet?!  Ew, gross, your skin.  Now, check your porcupines.

I have a juicer that my lovely sister got me.  I want to use it more often but just forget.  I originally saw this "green drink" idea from Dr. Oz and Montel Williams.  The Glam Organic Goddess (see pore cleansing strips above) has some super-cool DIY tips that you should check out and DIY for me, but she also has what I'm going to call Green Goddess Juice.  Her tips and tricks may persuade me to try, try again.  Juicer, warm your engine.  Side note to my loyal readers (all 3 of you, thanks, love you much): check out her story.  Project "Save My Ass"...seemed more like the doctors were just taking a shot in the dark, after taking several shots of tequilla or something.  Only 1 of the 5 doctors mentioned ANYTHING about a healthy diet. Girl, I know exactly what you're talking about!

3 comments:

  1. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_vanilla_extract/

    I make my own. :) I just need a better storage bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those recipes are very similar. I wonder why such a difference in the number of vanilla beans. I clipped your version to make. Soon.

    ReplyDelete