Pages

DRAFT TODAY, POST TOMORROW: Some posts may be in draft status until I (aka procrastinator extraordinaire) get around to posting them.



Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cancer From the Kitchen?

NY Times Op-Ed piece (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/opinion/06kristof.html?_r=5&em) poses the question "What if breast cancer in the United States has less to do with insurance or mammograms and more to do with contaminants in our water or air -- or in certain plastic containers in our kitchens?" The author attended a symposium where the link between illnesses and common chemicals. There are some interesting stats but the bottom line is "avoid microwaving food in plastic or putting plastics in the dishwasher, because heat may cause chemicals to leach out. And the symposium handed out a reminder card listing "safer plastics" as those marked (usually at the bottom of a container) 1, 2, 4 or 5. It suggests that the "plastics to avoid"are those numbered 3, 6 and 7 (unless they are also marked "BPA-free?)."

I see another item on my to-do list! I checked my Nalgene BPA-free bottle and it does have a 7, but also says BPA-free. I'm sure I have plenty of items that can go, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment